Saturday, 31 March 2012

Folksy Items of the Week - Easter Bunny Fest!

Until I started looking into this I had no idea that the Easter Bunny was as old as Anglo Saxon times, or earlier. The original pagan goddess worshipped at 'Eastre' was worshipped through her symbol - the rabbit. What better fertility symbol than hares & rabbits who can breed better than anyone in the springtime! The edible Easter bunnies were really an invention of the Germans  in the1800's & were made of pastry and sugar. German children would look forward to a visit by the Oschter Haws almost as much as Santa himself! However, you had leave out an Easter bonnet or basket for the Easter bunny to leave you some brightly coloured eggs.
Well the Easter bunny definitely seems to have visited Folksy this week!













Just spotted a bunny rabbit in my garden. I don't think she's the Easter bunny though as she's not left any colourful eggs. Just a bunch of little brown droppings after munching her way through some of my spring flowers! Still can't complain as if you read my last blog post you would know that rabbit droppings are good for fertilizing the soil!!



5 comments:

  1. Thank you for featuring my Bunny in a basket card amongst this fab selection!

    Debbie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of bunny lovliness! I like NannyPats bunny in the stripey t-shirt and the coy pink felt bunny from Ginger Beer. I think my purple sock bunny should feel right at home, thank you :) Shaz x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great selection and I have learnt all about the Easter Bunny!
      Thank you, Louisa x

      Delete
  3. Thank you for featuring one of my bunny brooches. Interesting reading about the history of the Easter bunny - never knew that.

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've added a link to your blog post through my blog post - hope that's OK.

    http://elliestreasures.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/easter-bunnies-and-all-that-stuff.html

    ReplyDelete